Over the weekend I visited my family and like always, my father and I had a discussion about life with aspergers and other topics relating to this. Although we both have been diagnosed, we are both very different people. We often clash because one of us wants to talk and the others wants to be alone or one of us is too loud for the other and causes disruption which leads to aggression and frustration.
Obviously we are similar in many ways too because of the autism. We both avoid eye contact with people we barely know, hate and avoid phone calls (even with each other) hate going to parties especially if we don’t know anyone, hate being centre of attention, lack empathy, have a very short fuse and being very particular about routines and rules in life.
Then there are the ways in which we are polar opposites. These include my father wearing tighter/thicker clothing like jeans etc whereas I won’t wear them or anything that isn’t a soft cool material. He is able to be assertive and tell a stranger to do something whereas I can’t speak to strangers sometimes. He can’t tolerate any change what so ever, so his house is exactly the same as it was 10 years ago whereas I don’t mind some change if it doesn’t have a bad impact or increase stress levels.
So, because of these differences I have designed a short questionnaire to get try and get to know my aspergians here a little better. I’d like to see how different we all are. There’s an obvious deep connection between us all but it’s a beautiful thing that we can still be different and break the stigma that the media portray of us having set traits and characteristics when we all vary.
Aspergers & You
- Are you able to hold eye contact? If so, does it come easily or is it forced?
- Do you like to dress in certain fabrics or a certain way?
- Would you say that you are a maternal person?
- What are the hardest issues you find dealing with in everyday life?
- Are you able to drive? If so, does anxiety come with it or are you a relaxed driver?
- Do you have any phobias?
- What’s your favourite hobby/pastime?
- Do you love animals? More than humans? 🙂
- Are you in a relationship or finding love? How’re you finding that?
- Do you dabble with alcohol or drugs to socialise easier?
- What do you dislike most about the society you live in?
- If you could change anything in the world, what would it be? And why?
- What do you love about being autistic? What do we bring to the world?
- Do you prefer fiction or non-fiction?
- What is most likely to disturb your senses?
Thanks for reading and I hope to see your responses!
Love & Light,